Insist on a Meth Safe Property!
Many meth labs are never "busted' and are either abandoned or dismantled and relocated to a new location, leaving hidden heath risks behind for new residents.
Meth leave behind toxic contamination for years, unless properly decontaminated. EVEN PAST METH USAGE IN A HOME can put you at risk, not just former meth labs.
Test for Meth Before You Buy a Home!
One meth lab doing one cook is enough to contaminate a property!
Methamphetamines (meth) can be manufactured anywhere, basement, kitchen, a closet or even outdoors. During the "cooking" process hazardous waste is generated that can remain in a home long after the lab is dismantled or moved.
When meth is manufactured or used, a wide range of volatile chemicals are used. For one pound of "cooked" meth, 5-6 pounds of toxic waste is generated. This is usually disposed of through the plumbing system or dumped outside property. Residue remains on walls, floors, ceilings, in HVAC dusts and in the plumbing.
Contaminated homes are a health risk, expensive and difficult to decontaminate. Toxic fumes are produced during a ‘cook’. This gets into carpets, clothes, furniture and personal possessions. Wood, sheet rock, plaster, concrete and porous fiber board all absorb these poisonous chemicals. These have to be stripped back or ripped out to get rid of the health risk. Living in a former meth lab or home where meth has been used or cooked can cause many health problems.
Potential Heath Effects of Living In a Former Meth Exposed Home
Watery or burning eyes
Coughing or Choking
Pain in diaphragm
Feeling of coldness or weakness
Shortness of breath / dizziness
Decrease in cognitive function,
- Nervous disorders/Tremors
- Damage to kidneys and liver
- Birth defects
- Reproductive problems